mmWaves-related technologies are seen as one of the major technology enablers for future 5G wireless mobile networks. In fact,
taking advantage of multiple radio access technologies will allow achieving higher capacities and bandwidths, reduced system power
consumption and lower electromagnetic field exposure. The lack of available spectrum resources in the microwave range (0.7-6 GHz)
and the considerable progress of mmWave radio technologies over the last few years have triggered a strong interest for the
exploitation of mmWave bands (with main focus on bands up to 100 GHz) in future wireless cellular networks for both backhauling
This workshop will bring together academic and industrial researchers/engineers to identify and discuss technical challenges and
recent results related to mmWave technologies in the context of future 5G mobile wireless networks.
8:00-10:00 - Session 1: Chairman Miurel Tercero (Ericsson, Sweden)
· Keynote 1: Prof. Akbar Sayeed (University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA), Multi-beam MIMO for Millimeter-Wave Wireless:
Architectures, Prototypes, and 5G Use Cases.
· Keynote 2: MSc. J. Putkonen (Nokia Bell Labs, Finland), What mm-waves offer for 5G networks?
· Panel session: Prof. A. Sayeed (University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA), Dr. J. Putkonen (Nokia, Finland), Dr. L. Dussopt
(CEA, France), Dr. M. Hunukumbure(Samsung R&D, UK), Prof. Tran Gia Khanh (Tokyo Inst. of Technology, Japan).
10:00-11:00 - Networking Break & Poster session :
· Z. Wen, K. Kong, Q. Wang, S. Li, X. Zhao, M. Wang, S. Sun, “mmWave Channel Sounder based on COTS Instruments for
5G and Indoor Channel Measurement” (Keysight China, North China Electric Power Univ., China Academy of Telecomm.
· A.A. Goulianos, T.H. Barratt, W. Yuan, S. Zhang, M.A. Beach, A.R. Nix, E. Mellios, P. Cain, M. Rumney, T. Masson,
“Time-Domain Sounder Validation and Reflectivity Measurements for mm-Wave Applications” (Univ. Bristol, Keysight UK).
11:00-12:00 - Session 2: Chairman Laurent Dussopt (CEA, France)
· J. Lun, D. Grace, A. Burr, Y. Han, K. Leppanen, T. Cai, “Millimetre Wave Backhaul/Fronthaul Deployments for Ultra-dense
Outdoor Small Cells” (Univ. York, Huawei Techno (Sweden)).
· G.K. Tran, H. Shimodaira, R.E. Rezagah, K. Sakaguchi, K. Araki, “Practical evaluation of on-demand smallcell ON/OFF
based on traffic model for 5G cellular networks” (Tokyo Inst. Techno., Fraunhofer HHI).
· M. Tercero et al., “5G systems: The mmMAGIC project perspective on Use cases and Challenges between 6-100 GHz”.
Valerio Frascolla, Intel Deutschland GmbH, Germany.
Emilio Calvanese Strinati, CEA-LETI, France.
Maziar Nekovee, Samsung, UK.
Laurent Dussopt, CEA-LETI, France.
Peter von Wrycza, Ericsson, Sweden.
Tommy Svensson, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden.